Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 5 Countdown- casual rock climbing


I’m on day 5 of my countdown and we all want to make the most of our remaining time in Spain.  Today a large group from our program went “hiking” up a mountain in a town called Calpe, about a 2 hour tram ride away.  Originally, we thought it was hiking- as in using a path and walking through nature.  However, less than 15 minutes on the path we realized this would be much more of a rock climbing/crawling on all 4’s adventure.  It was absolutely incredible and I have to say I have always wanted to go rock climbing and if this is as close as I ever get I will be happy.  Before we began climbing our two professors explained that there would be some narrow areas where we should ‘be careful’ to stay on the path.  These areas were the ones we scaled up rocks that overlooked the Mediterranean Sea!  Collin and I are planning to go indoor rock climbing at his gym this summer so this little adventure was great practice.  Maybe it should have been the other way around, like practice indoor first before going to the real thing haha.  


From the bottom looking up

From the top looking down


It was so much fun and I enjoyed the challenge and views the whole way up.  At the top we were around 1,000 feet above sea level and the overlook was incredible. Although the rock climbing didn't scare me, there were tons of seagulls that were nesting along the way up the mountain.  They were so aggressive because they thought we were going to hurt their babies and were intruding on their territory.  They would squawk at us and a few times swooped down over our heads a little too close for comfort.  The seagulls were definitely an unexpected obstacle along the way haha. 

1000 feet above sea level 

We did it! 


The day was a well-deserved adventure after exams... even though I will be sore tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment